Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Greetings from Florida!

While New England is covered in one kind of white stuff, I've been happily playing in another kind of white stuff. Yup, I'm in Fort Myers, home of my lovely aunt and uncle (hooray for free lodging) and spring training for the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins. So far I've been to two games - one on Sunday, which the Sox won 2-1, and one today, which, when I left at the end of the 7th, the Sox trailed 9-5.

Spring training baseball is a very different animal than the regular season, especially for teams like the Sox and Cubs. The usual angst, anger, and arrogance is replaced by an easy-going enjoyment of the game. Honestly, you end up rooting for the shirts, if you root at all, because by the 5th inning the players are all guys you've never heard of or who are ticketed for exotic locales like Rochester, Des Moines, and Pawtucket.

From a baseball perspective, I would much rather be in Mesa. I've actually never been to spring training in Arizona, though I've vacationed there twice in the past few years. The first time I actually saw the Cubs opening series against the D-Backs (got some really nice pictures of Greg Maddux's change-up grip - when I'm home I'll try and find them), which was very cool. They even lost, completing the experience. But, baseball in March is good no matter where it is, so I'm happy to be here.

Maybe next year I'll get to hit some Cactus League games instead of the Grapefruit Leauge.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you're having fun! We are "suffering" in a foot of snow here :)

    ReplyDelete